Sign in to follow this  
snowlurker

Perseids: catch 'em while there's no cloud cover.

Looks like the peak of the Perseids will be Saturday night, but we're in for lots of thunderstorms over Friday through at least Sunday if not Monday. Tonight might be the best night over the whole period for observing meteors.

• Like 2

This may be confirmation bias, but I swear it is cloudy for the Perseids every year...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

This may be confirmation bias, but I swear it is cloudy for the Perseids every year...

Between clouds and sheer tiredness/laziness, I've only seen them 3 times in the past decade. Twice, it was really rewarding. I'm hoping for a magical clearing Monday night.

Well, happened to wake up at 3 and decided to go outside. Much to my delight, the sky was mostly clear! I set up my chair, blasted myself with DEET, and sat back for the show. Immediately saw two bright Perseids and my excitement even grew. However, I quickly learned how clouds can grow from seemingly nothing so quickly, and about 20 minutes later the sky is cloudy. At least I saw a couple I suppose... 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

Well, happened to wake up at 3 and decided to go outside. Much to my delight, the sky was mostly clear! I set up my chair, blasted myself with DEET, and sat back for the show. Immediately saw two bright Perseids and my excitement even grew. However, I quickly learned how clouds can grow from seemingly nothing so quickly, and about 20 minutes later the sky is cloudy. At least I saw a couple I suppose... 

Glad to hear that it worked out! Have to say that I'm not wanting to start the work week exhausted, so I'm gonna pass on tonight.