*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

BeerandWXTogether

The Equinox Eraser...(of trees, power lines, and sprouting Spring) - Obs 3.20-3.21

5668390c5eb9a7f9d7a8f6a758e5cb49.jpg

Looks like I could be under a dry slot in Newtown for awhile after this batch rotates through from the southeast. Doesn’t look like too much coming up from the immediate southwest either as the overall system moves northeast

The WeatherTAP radars posted above look so much more filled in than the RadarScope super res

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slowly transitioning to snow here. Feeling a little more hopeful now, just need to wait a bit.

GIS definitely has been a booming field for past decade. Getting used in NWS more. To make this wx related, I think this will be an uphill struggle today for you all. 

we are about 90% snow, 10% sleet (can just hear some icing in the trees) roads are getting covered now. 32.7F and a dewpoint of 29

2 minutes ago, mb2231 said:

I am! Yeah, the commercial license we have at work is $5,000+, but there's a non-commercial license I use to mess around, gets you everything for $100/year.

That's the main holdback with use in the NWS, no $$$ for licenses. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mb2231 said:

Hey guys,

I work as a GIS Analyst so, if you want, once this is over, I can take that google spreadsheet and make a pretty good map of the totals. There's definitely enough data points around the area.

That's a great idea! Will you be using the Kriging tool in ArcGIS for the analysis?  Or another method?

10 am obs

Moderate Snow

East Nantmeal Twp

Chester County Pa (40.109571 -75.7327) - if someone can enter that in for me on the map - thanks!

Snow so far 4.5" 

Temp 29.2

All snow in NE Philly now. Snowing at a steady rate somewhere between light and moderate. Coating on all surfaces now even the black top on my street.

2 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

That's the main holdback with use in the NWS, no $$$ for licenses. 

same with us as I mentioned, we had it couple years ago but now gone :(

4 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

GIS definitely has been a booming field for past decade. Getting used in NWS more. To make this wx related, I think this will be an uphill struggle today for you all. 

Those that get the bandzzz today will do well. Otherwise, the struggle will be real.

4 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

When I graduated from PSU, I was told that the starting salary for a GIS analyst at AccuWeather was actually higher than entry-level mets.

Just now, CyphaPSU said:

When I graduated from PSU, I was told that the starting salary for a GIS analyst at AccuWeather was actually higher than entry-level mets.

Mike Gorse can confirm on that :(. Accuwx pays less than most places for mets.

Looks like some really heavy banding moving north out of MD into Lancaster/Chester.  Right up the Chesapeake.

Just now, mshaffer526 said:

Looks like some really heavy banding moving north out of MD into Lancaster/Chester.  Right up the Chesapeake.

Yes, its dumping