BeerandWXTogether

The Equinox Eraser...(of trees, power lines, and sprouting Spring) - Obs 3.20-3.21

19 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

They were pulling them off here yesterday. 

Was the 10" from Wayne you (listed as social media and not Skywarn Spotter)? 

2 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Was the 10" from Wayne you (listed as social media and not Skywarn Spotter)? 

No, think that was a thing of beauty man jrodd

I think the Cherry Hill ob somehow got placed in the Northampton County section. I measured between 8-10" in various spots.

30 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Where's the bud light?

I was working, otherwise I would have!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feb said:

If you guys have a gtg this summer I can buy all of you a beer since I canceled winter back in February. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

fyp

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

agreed

I think you should get Heisy to pick Feb up as they both road trip it to Golden Pheasant together. Oh to be a fly on the dashboard for that. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rainshadow said:

I think you should get Heisy to pick Feb up as they both road trip it to Golden Pheasant together. Oh to be a fly on the dashboard for that. ;)

You can be the passenger in the car with him to Massachusetts as he is looking at models while driving

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

I wish Greg was still here in more ways than one, he used to qc the CoCoRahs reports from Chester County.  Yeah 5.4" event total looks even low from here.

I am in the sliver of Chadd Ford that's Delco Strong not sure where that obs came from, but the one used in the STR is in line with what I observed.  I must confess that I am not trained either and do not have a snowboard. 

22 minutes ago, Baseball0618 said:

I am in the sliver of Chadd Ford that's Delco Strong not sure where that obs came from, but the one used in the STR is in line with what I observed.  I must confess that I am not trained either and do not have a snowboard. 

It says 3 miles southwest (or southsouthwest), so I guess it could be a little less but I wouldn't think close to 4" less even if it is at a lower elevation.

In this event measuring on grass (because of compaction/melting from the warmer ground) vs a snow board (clearing it every six hours which reduces some of the compactive effects) probably was less of a difference.  A snowboard though is definitely the way to go because with lighter events measuring on grass will definitely give you higher amounts.  Plus we want standardization, only way one can have an apple to apple comparison. Last night my last measurement before going to bed was 9.6" using my board, while on the grass I measured 9, 9 and 10 inches in three different spots. (The snow/sleet from the previous morning was just about gone).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimCaruso said:

I had been thinking about that April 1982 event as this storm took shape. I grew up in Rosedale (near JFK) and recalled an April snowstorm - I kept thinking about that as people were downplaying the opportunity for a heavy snowfall this late in the season. I definitely remembered it being an April snowstorm, but I couldn’t remember if it was late 70’s or early 80’s (I was just 14 when it happened). I remember it being a significant storm but didn’t recall it as being a blizzard and have no memory of exactly how much snow fell. Do you know how much fell at JFK? How widespread was it, did the Philadelphia area get anything from it? What about NJ and/or eastern Long Island? Did it affect other parts of the northeast corridor from DC to Boston?

The April snowstorm that I remember was in 1981. I commuted by bus from NYC to NW New Jersey, the bus ride home took about 3 hours. Per the lease I had to shovel the driveway and shovel out the mailbox. Which I did. I was younger and stupid. Why? By Saturday afternoon all the snow had melted. I remember the year because I was that rental house for only one year and moved to eastern NJ in 1982.

• Like 1

Storm total precip was 0.95" in Ewing with the 8.0" of snow.  Here's the daily breakdown:

3/20 - 0.3" snow (sleet) and 0.20" precip

3/21 - 7.3" snow and 0.73" precip (actually was a perfect 10:1, was surprised)

3/22 - 0.4" snow and 0.02" precip

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, famartin said:

Storm total precip was 0.95" in Ewing with the 8.0" of snow.  Here's the daily breakdown:

3/20 - 0.3" snow (sleet) and 0.20" precip

3/21 - 7.3" snow and 0.73" precip (actually was a perfect 10:1, was surprised)

3/22 - 0.4" snow and 0.02" precip

9.9" and 0.99" water equivalent during round two.  I swapped the gage out just as the sleet turned to snow.

• Like 1

At first I was all for this wave, didn't believe the euro with the flat look with lack of pna ridge. Then I jumped ship off wave 2 and went all in on wave 1. Was big time wrong on that aspect. I'd give my snow map maybe a b-, wasn't terrible, but not great

You know whats funny, for all the bashing on Miller b's with the last big snow event, I'm pretty sure this was one too. You had your primary low that came from the plains, then you had your secondary that formed a long the coast. 

First post!

Yes, WFO PHI uses reports on this page often. They were essential for us yesterday, I might add, so thank you all.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Capture.JPG.7902e9d389c0950341301182fc04f556.JPG

Some meso models did a great job at indicating the lesser snow totals around N DE and S Philly. NJ really made up for the slower start with the banding that formed in the afternoon. The 500mb ended up trending a tad farther ESE than was progged 48 hrs b4 the storm I believe.

11 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

A couple of training courses are coming up:

https://www.weather.gov/phi/classes

Registered, can’t wait. First weather reporting was in to Met David Rogers at KYW-TV in ‘93, he led a great outreach with his request for public reports. He was a great guy, took my call in reports by phone. Always cordial in spite of my religious non news worthy report of 1.2” etc. He invited us to a tour of the news room and a viewing of the evening news. Met Larry Kane. Fun night and awesome season to start reporting

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

You know whats funny, for all the bashing on Miller b's with the last big snow event, I'm pretty sure this was one too. You had your primary low that came from the plains, then you had your secondary that formed a long the coast. 

I think you are right. Blocking forced everything south and west so we were in the position Boston usually is relative to the upper low.