Rainshadow

Temperature/Obs/Boring Weather Discussion

I apologize as the picture does not do it justice, but the view of Toronto from NOTL. About 21 miles as the crow flies. CN Tower at left. Visibility is excellent today. Much less humid too, about 70 degrees with a cool breeze off the lake. 

20180602_153448.jpg

• Like 6

from the broken record category last month was the 8th warmest May on record at Philadelphia, since the start of this decade (101 months) this is now the 31st top 10 warmest month over the period of record back to 1874

May leads the warm parade with 5 out of 9 such months, hopefully we can avoid July joining that party

on the flip side only one month this decade is top 10 cold

5b15ed9507a2c_phl2010decade.png.3bb079622471fa15a099e05eb8e8245e.png

40 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

from the broken record category last month was the 8th warmest May on record at Philadelphia, since the start of this decade (101 months) this is now the 31st top 10 warmest month over the period of record back to 1874

May leads the warm parade with 5 out of 9 such months, hopefully we can avoid July joining that party

on the flip side only one month this decade is top 10 cold

5b15ed9507a2c_phl2010decade.png.3bb079622471fa15a099e05eb8e8245e.png

And yet it really did not seem that warm at all

8 hours ago, susqushawn said:

And yet it really did not seem that warm at all

I would have to look at it closer, but I would think it was more about the min temps than max temps.

53 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

I would have to look at it closer, but I would think it was more about the min temps than max temps.

Yea the mins were above normal as well as maxes, but the mins warmer departures were higher than the maxes. Granted the 2 90 days put a nice departure up there

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea the mins were above normal as well as maxes, but the mins warmer departures were higher than the maxes. Granted the 2 90 days out a nice departure up there

There was only one 90 degree day in May, but there were three 89(s) fwtw.  You might have seen one of those 5 min obs that "assumes" when it converts the C to F that it is 90 and not 89.

25 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

There was only one 90 degree day in May, but there were three 89(s) fwtw.  You might have seen one of those 5 min obs that "assumes" when it converts the C to F that it is 90 and not 89.

You’re correct could of sworn I saw the 90 on one of those 89 2 weeks ago. 

May 2018 details:

ABE: mean - (+5.8), max - (+4.9), min - (+6.7)

ACY: mean - (+5.9), max - (+5.4), min - (+6.4)

GED: mean - (+6.1), max - (+5.9), min - (+6.4)

PHL: mean - (+3.8), max - (+3.8), min - (+3.9)

RDG: mean - (+5.4), max - (+4.3), min - (+6.3)

TTN: mean - (+5.3), max - (+4.8), min - (+5.7)

ILG: mean - (+4.6), max - (+4.5), min - (+4.8)

MPO: mean - (+5.2), max - (+5.0), min - (+5.5)

Minimum departures were higher at all locations however the Max departures certainly held there own

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

May 2018 details:

ABE: mean - (+5.8), max - (+4.9), min - (+6.7)

ACY: mean - (+5.9), max - (+5.4), min - (+6.4)

GED: mean - (+6.1), max - (+5.9), min - (+6.4)

PHL: mean - (+3.8), max - (+3.8), min - (+3.9)

RDG: mean - (+5.4), max - (+4.3), min - (+6.3)

TTN: mean - (+5.3), max - (+4.8), min - (+5.7)

ILG: mean - (+4.6), max - (+4.5), min - (+4.8)

MPO: mean - (+5.2), max - (+5.0), min - (+5.5)

Minimum departures were higher at all locations however the Max departures certainly held there own

I feel like the person (well me) who tops his approach shot and somehow it still rolls onto the green. 

This is not Philadelphia weather related but it is general weather related so figured it would be OK to post and, if so, most appropriate in this general banter-type thread. Just wanted to mention it here on the forum because nobody else would care

I just got back from my annual Plains storm chasing trip. It has been a very slow severe weather season out there, with the number of tornados well below average. An interesting anecdote is it was the first year that all the way through April Oklahoma had still not had its first tornado. I postponed my trip twice waiting for the pattern to improve. While no strong trough ever did dig into the Plains these last few weeks, there were a couple weaker troughs that lifted out from the Great Basin and sent some shortwaves through the Plains with 30-40 knots of southwesterly 500mb flow at times. We had 3 good chase days from 5/27-5/29. Unfortunately we screwed up on the first two - one due to a bad target area forecast (failed to choose southeastern WY where there was a tornado) and one due to bad field adjustments (focused on the “wrong” segment of an OFB and missed landspouts in northeast CO). On the third day, we along with apparently 90% of chasers were on a nice HP supercell in Oklahoma that was briefly tornado-warned but meanwhile a nice tornado occurred 50 miles to the north in Kansas and even made the mainstream news. A fourth chase day occurred on Friday 6/1 in Nebraska but the ingredients just did not come together as expected even by the professionals that day. We should have been up in North Dakota where there were a number of tornado reports but we felt it was just ridiculously far to drive. Short and disappointing trip this year. While I would never expect to make up for it in our area - even IF there were ever an isolated supercell to chase around here it would be near impossible with trees, hillls and traffic - I hope there is at least some action, since I came back with my storm craving totally unsatisfied.

Thanks for listening, who else could I commiserate with other than a bunch of fellow weather geeks?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JimCaruso said:

This is not Philadelphia weather related but it is general weather related so figured it would be OK to post and, if so, most appropriate in this general banter-type thread. Just wanted to mention it here on the forum because nobody else would care emoji57.pngemoji19.pngemoji52.png

I just got back from my annual Plains storm chasing trip. It has been a very slow severe weather season out there, with the number of tornados well below average. An interesting anecdote is it was the first year that all the way through April Oklahoma had still not had its first tornado. I postponed my trip twice waiting for the pattern to improve. While no strong trough ever did dig into the Plains these last few weeks, there were a couple weaker troughs that lifted out from the Great Basin and sent some shortwaves through the Plains with 30-40 knots of southwesterly 500mb flow at times. We had 3 good chase days from 5/27-5/29. Unfortunately we screwed up on the first two - one due to a bad target area forecast (failed to choose southeastern WY where there was a tornado) and one due to bad field adjustments (focused on the “wrong” segment of an OFB and missed landspouts in northeast CO). On the third day, we along with apparently 90% of chasers were on a nice HP supercell in Oklahoma that was briefly tornado-warned but meanwhile a nice tornado occurred 50 miles to the north in Kansas and even made the mainstream news. A fourth chase day occurred on Friday 6/1 in Nebraska but the ingredients just did not come together as expected even by the professionals that day. We should have been up in North Dakota where there were a number of tornado reports but we felt it was just ridiculously far to drive. Short and disappointing trip this year. While I would never expect to make up for it in our area - even IF there were ever an isolated supercell to chase around here it would be near impossible with trees, hillls and traffic - I hope there is at least some action, since I came back with my storm craving totally unsatisfied.

Thanks for listening, who else could I commiserate with other than a bunch of fellow weather geeks? emoji57.png

Maybe we'll get another supercell with a wall cloud coming up the turnpike from KoP to Plymouth Meeting like did around 3 years ago.

• Like 1

Have heard a couple forecasters calling for some scattered storms and showers today. As of right now I see no cape, tons of wind shear, no PWAT/TPW whatsoever, my crystal ball will be very surprised if anything forms in the SEPA area (although, it's still early). In other news, its an absolutely gorgeous breezy springsummer day! 

2 hours ago, JimCaruso said:

This is not Philadelphia weather related but it is general weather related so figured it would be OK to post and, if so, most appropriate in this general banter-type thread. Just wanted to mention it here on the forum because nobody else would care emoji57.pngemoji19.pngemoji52.png

Thanks for listening, who else could I commiserate with other than a bunch of fellow weather geeks? emoji57.png

That stinks Jim. There are always a few good cells out in Lancaster Co but half the battle is getting to them from the Philly metro area. Around here, hitting traffic and trying to find quick/direct routes in time to intercept or see a storm (and with a good vantage point) can be extremely challenging. At least out west, you have the ability to cover a lot of ground very quickly and efficiently. If it makes you feel any better, you didn't miss anything here!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rockchops said:

Have heard a couple forecasters calling for some scattered storms and showers today. As of right now I see no cape, tons of wind shear, no PWAT/TPW whatsoever, my crystal ball will be very surprised if anything forms in the SEPA area (although, it's still early). In other news, its an absolutely gorgeous breezy springsummer day! 

We will see stuff around later on this afternoon into night as a piece of energy swings through along cold front. Think best chance of any strong storms is tpk south 

Maybe we'll get another supercell with a wall cloud coming up the turnpike from KoP to Plymouth Meeting like did around 3 years ago.

I remember that fondly! Left my office (in Plymouth Meeting at the time) when I saw a tornado warning on a cell and drove south on 476 and saw the storm. Couldn’t believe it when it first came into view. Nothing like a Plains supercell but a nice discrete storm. Followed it for awhile but it weakened. Saw pictures posted here of even better supercells photographed from Citizens Bank Park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m down in KOP. Nice little train gang going on. 

619838C0-90EC-4941-9007-CD2F3C178DA6.png

.03 so far, enough to give the veggies a drink

Fun drive up 422. Only 0.11” at home. (Luckily). 

Very nice acoustic sounding thunder, thunder this evening. Not much rain yet in Mount Laurel.

• Like 1

Amazing how hard it is to get a sunny day from start to finish. Another cloudy, cruddy start. 

Last night, around 8:30, the entire sky was overcast except for a small sliver of clear sky on the western horizon that was brilliant pink.  I love the contrast when the sun starts shining shortly before sunset when it's otherwise cloudy.

• Like 1

Another gorgeous, cool morning, feels like mid/late September! Actually wouldn’t mind it being a little warmer, I was up at 5:30am and wanted to sit outside with a cup of coffee but it was too cool to sit comfortably outside in shorts and even a long-sleeve shirt. But it’s great weather, great for sleeping, and I love it in combination with the early sunrise, with that and the birds chirping it’s so much easier and more pleasant getting up out of bed!

• Like 3