snowlurker

Winter Banter Thread

19 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

:what:

He meant to post that on his bradfordwx.com message board he runs. ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parsley said:

He meant to post that on his bradfordwx.com message board he runs. ;)

It happened 2 years ago so why not

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

It happened 2 years ago so why not

It wouldn’t impress me unless it was a June occurrence. Sure, it still get cold at times in May. 

28 minutes ago, Parsley said:

It wouldn’t impress me unless it was a June occurrence. Sure, it still get cold at times in May. 

Then lets shoot for June

If I had a better memory, I'd remember what effect this would have upon our weather.

SUNSPOT EXPLODES, HURLS CME AT EARTH: On Feb. 12th, the magnetic canopy of sunspot AR2699 exploded--for more than 6 hours. The slow-motion blast produced a C1-class solar flare and hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) almost directly toward Earth. This movie from the Solar and Heliospheric Observtory (SOHO) shows the CME leaving the sun: http://spaceweather.com/images2018/13feb18/cme_anim.gif

The CME could arrive as early as Feb. 14th, although Feb 15th is more likely. NOAA forecasters say there is a 60% chance of G1-class geomagnetic storms with isolated periods of stronger G2 storming. The effectiveness of the CME could be enhanced by a stream of solar wind that was already en route to Earth when the sunspot exploded. If the approaching CME sweeps up plasma from that stream, snowplow-style, it could strike Earth's magnetic field with extra potency.

Arctic sky watchers should be alert for auroras when the CME arrives. If the resulting storm intensifies to category G2, observers in northern-tier US states from Maine to Washington could see auroras as well. Stay tuned to Spaceweather.com for updates.

Sad. 

http://fortune.com/2018/02/13/trump-budget-national-weather-service-layoffs/

I know many working for various NWS offices across the country and when I say they are the best of the best at what they do, I mean it. Smart and dedicated workers who worked their way up to get there. 

This just pisses me off. 

17 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Sad. 

I know many working for various NWS offices across the country and when I say they are the best of the best at what they do, I mean it. Smart and dedicated workers who worked their way up to get there. 

This just pisses me off. This 

19 minutes ago, Parsley said:

Sad. 

This just pisses me off. 

Thanks for saying this.

Many federal employees are dedicated public servants who take their service mission very seriously and deserve our admiration and support. Our forecasters are such people.

• Like 1

At least we don't live in DC :o

Washington, D.C., Snow Tracker

Current Snow Total
3.1"
Record Most Snow
(2009-10)
56.1"
Record Least Snow
(1997-98, 1972-73)
0.1"
Last Winter's Snow Total
3.4"

Here's hoping the current Winter Storm Watch for Collegeville, PA for 4-6 inches of snow holds true, because anything less than 4" and I won't be able to enjoy cross-country skiing. Fingers & toes crossed!

4" is the bar we can't surpass this winter, sadly. I'm hoping for 3-4", and would take a surprise of 5-6" Anything less than 3" would be a disappointment for us IMO.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2018 at 5:01 PM, Parsley said:

Sad. 

This just pisses me off. 

Thank-you for your kind words.  Being there meteorologists are their own worst critics when a forecast goes awry.

Well Trump (or any president) can propose moving all NWS personnel to Tasmania, but it's ultimately Congress that sets the spending levels and they have been historically more kind to the NWS than presidential budget proposals.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Parsley said:

4" is the bar we can't surpass this winter, sadly. I'm hoping for 3-4", and would take a surprise of 5-6" Anything less than 3" would be a disappointment for us IMO.

In less than an hour, I now see that the wording for the watch has been lowered to 3-6", so it's looking iffier for skiing. Oh well, weather is gonna do what weather is gonna do.

Still hoping for my first cross-country skiing opportunity this winter. Hopefully, there's still a big enough (5"+) snowstorm hiding in this winter's bag.