Sign in to follow this  
irishbri74

Friday/sat am cold blast

49 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Nice, completely snoozed as the backyard hose was still outside full of water, cold north side of the house too so that would have been toast, figure I'd learn since a trashed that one leaving it out last winter

Once in awhile I have good idea. :bye:

15 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Dang, philly's record low is lower than yours. Definitely would not of thought that. 

a long time ago in a galaxy far far away when PHL actually radiated

lows for 11/11/1961

PHL - 21

ILG - 22

ACY - 23

ABE - 23

RDG - 27

TTN - 29, LOL

How is it that the Northern counties, like Bucks, Montco, etc, aren't under a freeze warning?

7 minutes ago, cbelke said:

How is it that the Northern counties, like Bucks, Montco, etc, aren't under a freeze warning?

growing season is long over already. They are out for those counties because the growing season is still going. 

5 minutes ago, cbelke said:

I believe our "growing season" ended last week with lows for some between 29-32. I know IMBY as a normally cold spot, I never got below 32 and even on nights where it was 32 for 5-6 hours my annual flowers survived. I said my goodbyes to them today. :(

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

growing season is long over already. They are out for those counties because the growing season is still going. 

So one freeze warning per county per year?

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

Plenty was still "growing" but I guess vegetation that produces fruits and veggies has ceased already.

1 minute ago, Parsley said:

I believe our "growing season" ended last week with lows for some between 29-32. I know IMBY as a normally cold spot, I never got below 32 and even on nights where it was 32 for 5-6 hours my annual flowers survived. I said my goodbyes to them today. :(

Tell that to most of my flowers, they are still doing well, the salvia and lantana are about done. Well, everything will be done this weekend.

3 minutes ago, cbelke said:

So one freeze warning county per year?

Usually once a freeze occurs, the NWS deems the growing season done for that area and never reissues warnings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parsley said:

Usually once a freeze occurs, the NWS deems the growing season done for that areas and never reissues warnings. 

Image result for arte johnson, very interesting

• Like 1

Just now, cbelke said:

Tell that to most of my flowers, they are still doing well, the salvia and lantana are about done. Well, everything will be done this weekend.

Yup, my begonias which are super sensitive to cold all survived up through today.  My Hibiscus and geraniums too. Never have I remembered them thriving 10 days into November. Oh well, RIP.

57 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Dang, philly's record low is lower than yours. Definitely would not of thought that. 

Hey Tom.

Actually I think PHL's record low is 21 for the 11th -  still higher than here in Chester County it is 19 in 1957- that said I might be missing something...let me know - thanks!
Paul

Regarding growing season...here above the frost line in the soaring majestic hills of NW Chester County we have not been close to freezing this year...but I know lower spots 150 feet and lower have had at least heavy frost....here no frost or freeze yet....despite how cold my thermometer is!! LOL!!

23 minutes ago, chescopawxman said:

Hey Tom.

Actually I think PHL's record low is 21 for the 11th -  still higher than here in Chester County it is 19 in 1957- that said I might be missing something...let me know - thanks!
Paul

I read that wrong my fault. I didn't see that 24 was only from 1980s onward. Nvm

To put this in perspective since 1983 there has only been 2 days ever with a low temp in November below 16 degrees here in Chester County - they were 11/23 &  11/24 back in 1989. Not saying we will...but if we get below 16 degrees that is some tres impressive early season chill!! I

1 hour ago, cbelke said:

Image result for arte johnson, very interesting

We look at if half the county fell below freezing for 2 hours. Where the warning is up for has not had a "freeze" yet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbelke said:

So one freeze warning per county per year?

Yeah Mitch's post above, saw it just before the enter key.

Haven't hit freezing here, so I will bid adieu to our peppers, eggplants & figs in a delayed but not denied enjoyable growing season for two out of three of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mitchg said:

We look at if half the county fell below freezing for 2 hours. Where the warning is up for has not had a "freeze" yet. 

Hi Mitch. Thanks for explaining.  

7 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Yeah Mitch's post above, saw it just before the enter key.

Haven't hit freezing here, so I will bid adieu to our peppers, eggplants & figs in a delayed but not denied enjoyable growing season for two out of three of them.

We had a very light frost a couple of weeks ago and hurt some of the leaves on the flowers but they are are still going strong. Their hummingbird sustaining existence will come to an end tomorrow. :shivering: Though the hummingbirds left a long time ago.

Well, I thought that I took all of my hoses inside on Thursday night. Made the mistake of bringing one length of hose in through the main part of my house down stairs to the garage. Got hose water crud on the carpet. Oh well. One length of hose out front and two lengths of hose in the back of the house. Thought I was covered, but found a 3 foot length of hose out back this morning, think it is ok. Brought it into the garage.