Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

8/18 Thunderstorms, Heavy Rain Obs

7 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea I think the downdraft ran out ahead of the mainline and stabilized a small area and sort of set up a screw zone. Then new storms fired up on it, which was just east of my course lol

Same here.  West Chester with pitiful 0.23" total.  Sun now out.

2.3" in Sinking Spring....heavy rain can't miss Berks this summer.  I didn't take this pic, but here's a pic from Wyomissing a couple miles away. 

IMG_1754.JPG

• Like 5

Man I'm pissed this missed work. Banking on this rain so I didn't have to drag hoses all morning tomorrow. 

Got off the train at 6:45.  Cornwells Heights has one of those train underpasses that floods often; still, idk I've ever seen in this deep.  The marker on the side showed the water 4 feet deep, but it was actually deeper because the marker is raised above the roadway floor.  A sedan and two SUVs had water over their hoods.

Despite all that, "only" 1.50" in the automatic gauge here in more upper-ish Bensalem.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Man I'm pissed this missed work. Banking on this rain so I didn't have to drag hoses all morning tomorrow. 

Trees down in Tony land ( Mount Laurel) which the strong wind then moved up to VAY. :lol2:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mitchg said:

Trees down in Tony land ( Mount Laurel) which the strong wind then moved up to VAY. :lol2:

Jo saw Facebook post about power outages in Ramblewood section. Here it was a decent storm, but no pole bean toppler.  0.47". Lost power for about 5 seconds.

They are great pics. What lense are you using for something like that?

13 minutes ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Rainbow & spectacular sunset

DSC_0510.thumb.JPG.e4cde30f1e74db48ef40a7164855ff07.JPG

DSC_0513.thumb.JPG.71b854ab66af99ab58c553771655c923.JPG

20170818_194330.thumb.jpg.20550074efeee46094f0a8e77eae5808.jpg

20170818_194400.thumb.jpg.89b7d2f083a82668f980b18b71272145.jpg

20170818_200819.thumb.jpg.8a25daf1eeb14ce2734e2b7ec37bb9ff.jpg

That's like the jackpot of sunsets. 

• Like 1

General question -- I've always heard (anecdotally) that mammatus clouds are pretty rare. I feel like we see them pretty regularly around here on nights like tonight. I saw a patch of them a couple weeks ago after storms came through too (8/3?) Actually hanging off the side of a flat appendage of cumulonimbus on a storm in Jersey. First time I'd seen that, but I feel like it's at least once a year. Sort of like Jim Cantore losing his marbles at thundersnow, feel like it's not terribly uncommon. Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Parsley said:

That's like the jackpot of sunsets. 

When I took the last sunset pic there was frequent cloud to cloud lightning streaking across the opposite end of the sky (SE), fabulous stuff.

There were literally people stopping in the middle of 413 in Newtown taking pics of the sunset.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rockchops said:

General question -- I've always heard (anecdotally) that mammatus clouds are pretty rare. I feel like we see them pretty regularly around here on nights like tonight. I saw a patch of them a couple weeks ago after storms came through too (8/3?) Actually hanging off the side of a flat appendage of cumulonimbus on a storm in Jersey. First time I'd seen that, but I feel like it's at least once a year. Sort of like Jim Cantore losing his marbles at thundersnow, feel like it's not terribly uncommon. Thoughts?

I'd say thundersnow is more uncommon than mammatus 

I just stepped outside to let the dog out, and couldn't believe how quickly the low level clouds were racing northeastward.  I can't remember the last time I saw them moving that fast.  Winds above the surface must be racing.