*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Chubbs

Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

Memo to Rickie: Tomorrow is Thursday.  Saturday is Thursday.  Sunday is still Thursday.

• Like 1

They were talking about the lack of wind, none really is forecast thru Sunday. Less than 10 mph according to the GFS thrut.  Even the 925 & 850 winds are making Tom yawn.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:17 PM, Rainshadow said:

Memo to Rickie: Tomorrow is Thursday.  Saturday is Thursday.  Sunday is still Thursday.

He didn't get the memo, my e-mail must have went straight to spam.  Sending that second shot at 18 into the Pacific was the beginning of the end.

Anyway, don't know who does these odds, and I don't bet, but I would take Brooks over Gary any day of the week to have a better final score. 

oooo.JPG.7080db63d10fabef4db835dacb7537c4.JPG

Other than Rickie and Patrick,  the leaderboard is a who's who of world's top tens.

I guess Pebble is too beautiful for even the USGA to mess up.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:51 AM, Rainshadow said:

He didn't get the memo, my e-mail must have went straight to spam.  Sending that second shot at 18 into the Pacific was the beginning of the end.

Anyway, don't know who does these odds, and I don't bet, but I would take Brooks over Gary any day of the week to have a better final score. 

oooo.JPG.7080db63d10fabef4db835dacb7537c4.JPG

Other than Rickie and Patrick,  the leaderboard is a who's who of world's top tens.

I guess Pebble is too beautiful for even the USGA to mess up.

I may be eating my hat later, which is nothing new. I hope it is a fantastic finish!

What tbe hell is Joe Schmuck doing commentating on the U. S. Open??? 

Fox Sports knows how to screw up golf and foitball. I'd rather listen to Aikman. 

2 hours ago, cbelke said:

What tbe hell is Joe Schmuck doing commentating on the U. S. Open??? 

Fox Sports knows how to screw up golf and foitball. I'd rather listen to Aikman. 

You think about Jim Nantz during the Masters who said nothing as Tiger won for minutes on end.  JB missed the memo that less is more.  Oh lookie, it is raining again here.

• Like 1

Koepka 2nd hole giving little girl the ball...made my day. And he made a lifelong golf fan in that moment. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

I may be eating my hat later, which is nothing new. I hope it is a fantastic finish!

You know add a little balsamic glaze, the hat doesn't taste that bad at all!  Monster 3 wood on 14 seemed to have settled Gary down.  Brooks, Gary & Justin were fighting it after 7.

What an effort by Woodland, totally earned this title holding off the mighty Koepka. Terrific short game over the tournament including several huge unlikely par saves. 

Nice to have an Open in which the USGA is not part of the story. Good job by Joe Buck to let the moment breathe after the bird at 18.

• Like 1

Very happy for Woodland.  He and his wife had some tragedy a few years back--expecting twin boys, one was born premature and one they unfortunately lost.  Fast forward to today, his wife is pregnant with twin girls (!).  Talk about a great Father's Day present.  Always seemed like a good dude.

Much respect to Koepka...his consistency in majors is remarkable.  I was also surprised to see the Rose train run off the rails on the back like that.  You always think of him as a steady, emotionless sort of player, and he lost it rapidly yesterday evening.

4 hours ago, mshaffer526 said:

Very happy for Woodland.  He and his wife had some tragedy a few years back--expecting twin boys, one was born premature and one they unfortunately lost.  Fast forward to today, his wife is pregnant with twin girls (!).  Talk about a great Father's Day present.  Always seemed like a good dude.

Much respect to Koepka...his consistency in majors is remarkable.  I was also surprised to see the Rose train run off the rails on the back like that.  You always think of him as a steady, emotionless sort of player, and he lost it rapidly yesterday evening.

Didn't realize until yesterday's broadcast that Gary was 0 for 7 when going into a final round with a lead.  Great time to finally break out. They were saying he was something like 169th on tour scrambling this season and this tournament he was #1.  He saved it for the right time.  Justin was making spectacular par saves and it finally caught up to him on Sunday.  I am glad for once that the course set-up was not a bigger story than the tournament itself, even the USGA couldn't mess up Pebble.  We'll see what they do with Winged Foot next year. :unsure:

23 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Didn't realize until yesterday's broadcast that Gary was 0 for 7 when going into a final round with a lead.  Great time to finally break out. They were saying he was something like 169th on tour scrambling this season and this tournament he was #1.  He saved it for the right time.  Justin was making spectacular par saves and it finally caught up to him on Sunday.  I am glad for once that the course set-up was not a bigger story than the tournament itself, even the USGA couldn't mess up Pebble.  We'll see what they do with Winged Foot next year. :unsure:

Agree with all of this!! Finally got it right again! 

Finished up playing Sea Scape Golf Links down here in Kitty Hawk. Beautiful course and was in great condition!!

Pictured below is 236 par 3 17th, from the tips. Managed to get to about 20’ from the pin! (Yes, i par’d it!) 

043D4953-2A16-43EC-9B40-A9EBABA704F3.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, irishbri74 said:

Agree with all of this!! Finally got it right again! 

Finished up playing Sea Scape Golf Links down here in Kitty Hawk. Beautiful course and was in great condition!!

Pictured below is 236 par 3 17th, from the tips. Managed to get to about 20’ from the pin! (Yes, i par’d it!) 

043D4953-2A16-43EC-9B40-A9EBABA704F3.jpeg

Now I know what set of tees I won't be playing from. ;) Got to golf with Nooch last Saturday at Renault, yeah he is wayward at this stage, but he boomed one drive 290 yards.  That is a game you are familiar with, but the train was never in the station on that for me. 

• Like 1

While not as much as you in southern NJ have had, we have had enough rain that I have not had to water the patch of grass that I was trying to grow where I had concrete septic risers put in about 4 weeks ago. Some grass is growing and the rest is weeds. Perhaps I did not water enough, although I did water most every day, but only for about 5 minutes. Oh well.

The young dwarf cedar that is in a nice ceramic pot (frost proof) that is sitting in her pot on top of the Black Walnut root mulch seems to be doing well. As are the potted annuals.

Only problem is that there is a leak where the sprinkler head attaches to the hose and if I am not careful I get pretty wet in places. Fortunately my new to me (and first smartphone) iPhone XR is water resistant but I do transfer to the back pocket of my shorts to be safe.  😉

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Qtown Snow said:

20190623_115649.jpg

20190623_122610.jpg

20190623_121700.jpg

20190623_120953.jpg

20190623_115946.jpg

20190623_121503.jpg

Great course, but hard!! Amazing views on both sides of it though! Would love to catch some storms rolling in on the valley!! 

Ps, surprised you’re not out in Colorado chasing the fresh powder!?

10 hours ago, irishbri74 said:

Great course, but hard!! Amazing views on both sides of it though! Would love to catch some storms rolling in on the valley!! 

Oh yeah, hard for sure. Everyone in the area should try this place once. Having someone that has played there with you helps. Need to stay in the fairway is key.

Ah yes, fresh powder in June, the dream :). If I was retired I'd be chasing :)

17 hours ago, irishbri74 said:

This was  A Basin yesterday,  still open.... if only.....

2019-06-24 12_26_21-Webcams _ Arapahoe Basin Ski & Snowboard Area.png

• Like 2

We just came back from our several day golfing trip to the Poconos.  We played Skytop (eh, people walk across fairways there), Buck Hill Falls :wub:  & for the first time Great Bear.  Buck Hill Falls is still my favorite, but I did like Great Bear & what a locker room they have to boot. Of the Pocono courses we have played, I would rank them

Buck Hills

Great Bear

Mount Airy

Paupack Hills (Now private again)

Skytop

Cricket Hill

This is a picture of Blue 4 (which also has a great finishing hole) Gazebo.  Long long par 5 with a three level green, really tough hole.

65046044_10214354544644101_7350216728963448832_n.jpg.926cd4852c0ff4561f2f4623f8a42f9b.jpg

And just like that, it stopped raining and I have gone from mud tracks to baked clay.

We also drove past MPO airport on the way to this rather innocuous looking Italian restaurant with some great tasting pizza.  Lol on the way toward it on 940, they have warning signs about fog ahead, all those MPO obs, they say no lies....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

We just came back from our several day golfing trip to the Poconos.  We played Skytop (eh, people walk across fairways there), Buck Hill Falls :wub:  & for the first time Great Bear.  Buck Hill Falls is still my favorite, but I did like Great Bear & what a locker room they have to boot. Of the Pocono courses we have played, I would rank them

Buck Hills

Great Bear

Mount Airy

Skytop

Cricket Hill

This is a picture of Blue 4 (which also has a great finishing hole) Gazebo.  Long long par 5 with a three level green, really tough hole.

And just like that, it stopped raining and I have gone from mud tracks to baked clay.

We also drove past MPO airport on the way to this rather innocuous looking Italian restaurant with some great tasting pizza.  Lol on the way toward it on 940, they have warning signs about fog ahead, all those MPO obs, they say no lies....

Thanks for your list. I still have never played in the poconos but will use your list as a reference. 

9 hours ago, Qtown Snow said:

Thanks for your list. I still have never played in the poconos but will use your list as a reference. 

I wouldn't play either Skytop or Cricket Hill.  Skytop is smack in the middle of the resort and you get either guests who decide to walk across fairways as if they are in a park or decide it is a goof to golf and the summer pace of play is horrible.  We played it on Monday.  Cricket Hill is kind of a muni type course.  It is very tight. There are alot more courses in the Poconos we haven't played, but I really like Buck Hill. It is a very well maintained course with spectacular views.  

5 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

I wouldn't play either Skytop or Cricket Hill.  Skytop is smack in the middle of the resort and you get either guests who decide to walk across fairways as if they are in a park or decide it is a goof to golf and the summer pace of play is horrible.  We played it on Monday.  Cricket Hill is kind of a muni type course.  It is very tight. There are alot more courses in the Poconos we haven't played, but I really like Buck Hill. It is a very well maintained course with spectacular views.  

Tony,  which 9's did you play at buck hill?

7 hours ago, Qtown Snow said:

Tony,  which 9's did you play at buck hill?

White & Blue.  The Gazebo is on Blue.  Red is shorter, just played it once. The tee sheet on their web site shows you/gives you the options on the courses. I think the normally have you going white to blue.

• Like 1

Well I am back to hitting pw>6 iron as if a low slice to the right of the target by 30 yards is a good shot, but at least I can still grow tomatoes.  These were wegmans flavor bombs cherry tomatoes grown from seed. Pretty impressive given I am 6' 4". 😛   Seriously, those stakes are 8 feet.

Capture.JPGreerreerer.JPG.e64e2be7bcacae6375e53b234bc49848.JPG

• Like 7

On 6/27/2019 at 1:33 PM, Rainshadow said:

Buck Hills

Great Bear

Mount Airy

Skytop

Cricket Hill

65046044_10214354544644101_7350216728963448832_n.jpg.926cd4852c0ff4561f2f4623f8a42f9b.jpg

Got to get to Jack Frost National!! It’s my favorite course up there!  Great Bear is solid too. Nicklaus course to boot! And if you feel like taking a little ride, blue ridge trail is pretty awesome. 3-9 hole layout.