*** PLEASE REGISTER AND JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!!! ***

THE STAFF WANT YOU TO JOIN US AT PHILLYWX!!!

Register as a member today, and become part of the Delaware Valley weather community!

Our pro and seasoned amateur meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts from around the PA and NJ area together form a great group discussion, and we're asking folks that read our site today to register as members and post along with us!

Don't be intimidated if you're not an expert, ask questions if you're curious or want to build your knowledge!

Whether it's adding to our local profiles by reporting observations (and maybe becoming a SkyWarn Spotter!), or contributing more on the model interpretation side, we'd like you to join us in a constructive and insightful dialogue around all things Philly Weather!

Chubbs

Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

Now that spring golf is nearly here, I can return to my usual level of ineptness, but it was fun hanging out at Kresson and almost getting eagles during this weird winter.  I guess one could say these shots are apropos of this winter, alot of near misses and to quote Tom, "Stop leaving those shots short!" :

5th.jpeg.4e6f6d00340d35727bf286193fbfc782.jpeg

5th - 120 yards (my only hole in one hole)

10th.jpeg.4f8a90a406dfa7677fb2d5c9a378c2c8.jpeg

10th -120 yards.  Yes Tom dont ask why they aerated way late.

17.jpeg.09493e64f629ba871e79785ef437d836.jpeg

17th - 160 yards. This one is a legit great shot, it was into about a 15-20 mph wind, over a drained pond and the flag was toward the back of the green.

16.jpeg.b7742cdf8dd87a65fd47bab0089bd9cc.jpeg

Ok this was a par 4 (340 in the summer, tees were up), but I had to hit a Tombo moon shot with a PW to get over a tree (well I didnt completely, but it was high enough to make the Jack Nicholas trees are 90% air statement true that day).  Tom was right, I left it about two feet short.

I think I came within a foot at the 105 yard par 3 4th shot also, but can't find that picture.  Anyway....

Now I can go back to being shankopotamus joined already in progress....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Now that spring golf is nearly here, I can return to my usual level of ineptness, but it was fun hanging out at Kresson and almost getting eagles during this weird winter.  I guess one could say these shots are apropos of this winter, alot of near misses and to quote Tom, "Stop leaving those shots short!" :

Keep Practicing!! Tournament looms ahead in the coming months.

Players Tee Times Thursday:

8:22 a.m. -- Keith Mitchell, Austin Cook, Tommy Fleetwood

8:32 a.m. -- Justin Rose, Xander Schauffele, Justin Thomas

8:43 a.m. -- Bryson DeChambeau, Bubba Watson, Billy Horschel

8:53 a.m. -- Dustin Johnson, Jon Rahm, Sergio Garcia

9:04 a.m. -- Phil Mickelson, Matt Kuchar, Rory McIlroy

1:27 p.m. -- Tiger Woods, Webb Simpson, Patrick Reed

1:59 p.m. -- Rickie Fowler, Brooks Koepka, Jordan Spieth

Forecast:

Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Southeast wind 8 to 14 mph.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 63. Southeast wind 8 to 13 mph.
Friday
A 20 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 78.
Friday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58.
Saturday
A 30 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 66.
Saturday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:12 AM, snowwors2 said:

I’m sure this has been asked/answered many times over before but until now I haven’t had a reason to pay attention…

Just bought a new home in Buckingham PA, awesome spot but the prior owners took little care in the condition of the lawn!

I want to get heavy seed down and need to know how early can I spread it and what is the absolute best seed to use in terms of germination and resiliency?

Also, being that I have a well for our domestic water, what type of fertilizer would be safe to use without contaminating the well water?

Thanks for any pertinent input!

On 2/26/2019 at 10:54 PM, snowwors2 said:

I’d prefer not to but the lawn is She-iiit‼️

Gotta get something going and plan to aerate/seed again in the fall....

SO, given that.....What should I put down of a quality product?!

Now that we’re in a lull between anymore snow and thunderstorm season...

Still seeking thoughts!? 

13 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Still seeking thoughts!? 

I would like to hear recommendations as well.  We had some renovations done over the winter and have some areas of the yard that are completely chewed up.  I'll need to get them passable this spring and fully addressed this fall.   Any suggestions would be welcome.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

Still seeking thoughts!? 

50 minutes ago, jec6 said:

I would like to hear recommendations as well.  We had some renovations done over the winter and have some areas of the yard that are completely chewed up.  I'll need to get them passable this spring and fully addressed this fall.   Any suggestions would be welcome.

Tom would be the person to answer this.  I am the person who reseeds the same spots every spring because the grass didn't take in the fall and the re-seeding from the previous spring died during the summer or gets choked out by weeds.  From what Tom has said IIRC, if you seed in the spring, you have to really baby it, get it through the summer because the roots wont get well established by the time the hot (and sometimes dry) weather arrives.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Tom would be the person to answer this.  I am the person who reseeds the same spots every spring because the grass didn't take in the fall and the re-seeding from the previous spring died during the summer or gets choked out by weeds.  From what Tom has said IIRC, if you seed in the spring, you have to really baby it, get it through the summer because the roots wont get well established by the time the hot (and sometimes dry) weather arrives.

Thoughts Tom??

....Trade secrets from the golf course management handbook?!

Tiger hit not one but two balls in the drink at 17, he ad an otherwise clean card & would have been near the top of the leader board.

Wind looks to switch tomorrow so that should put some teeth back in the course.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:38 PM, mshaffer526 said:

Chester's County prodigal son Jim Furyk carded a great round today!!

He is holding his own under "cold" conditions, the OMG wind chills are in the lower 50s.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:37 AM, snowwors2 said:

Thoughts Tom??

....Trade secrets from the golf course management handbook?!

In lieu of any recommendations from Tom or others, I've laid out my plan.  Hopefully posting this will get some more expert opinions flowing. I'm fine hearing my plan sucks and I should re-evaluate.  I'll post a couple of pics of the area I'm dealing with tonight to show why I NEED to seed this spring.

1. This weekend I'm going to aerate the yard and loosen up the soil.  I'll run my mower over it to pull up the thatch and collect / bag the sticks, left over leaves and other winter / construction debris while I'm at it.

2. Rake the areas (possibly till depending on compaction) and add a couple of inches of Scotts Seeding Soil

3. Seed with a blend of Ryegrass and K31 Fescue cool season grasses 

4. light layer of starter lawn food

5. cover with seeding mulch processed straw.

Water lightly every day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jec6 said:

In lieu of any recommendations from Tom or others, I've laid out my plan.  Hopefully posting this will get some more expert opinions flowing. I'm fine hearing my plan sucks and I should re-evaluate.  I'll post a couple of pics of the area I'm dealing with tonight to show why I NEED to seed this spring.

1. This weekend I'm going to aerate the yard and loosen up the soil.  I'll run my mower over it to pull up the thatch and collect / bag the sticks, left over leaves and other winter / construction debris while I'm at it.

2. Rake the areas (possibly till depending on compaction) and add a couple of inches of Scotts Seeding Soil

3. Seed with a blend of Ryegrass and K31 Fescue cool season grasses 

4. light layer of starter lawn food

5. cover with seeding mulch processed straw.

Water lightly every day.  

I have to seed this spring too. What is your timeline for the 2-5?

I get the impression that Tom is ultra busy at the moment with getting St. Davids ready for the spring. Probably made busier by the inability to do much with all of the beyond wet conditions.  He is obviously the grass expert.  My goal in life is to make sure I only have the 2nd worst lawn on the block. Otherwise, I do alot of wash, rinse, spin, repeat reseeding the same spots every year.

On the garden side, the pepper seeds I started the last week in February are finally starting to surface.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NEchestercountydude said:

I have to seed this spring too. What is your timeline for the 2-5?

This is what I read:

The ideal temperatures vary somewhat by species, but a good general rule of thumb is that most grass seed starts to germinate when the soil temperature near the surface reaches 50 degrees.

In spring, that usually happens when the daytime air temperatures start hitting 60 degrees.

In a normal year, that's early April. When spring shows up a little earlier, end of March is a reasonable seeding time.  Wait at least until the soil isn't frozen to even think about spring-seeding.

Kentucky bluegrass and creeping red and sheep fescue (both fine fescues) can germinate when it's a little cooler (soil temps in the upper 50s).

Chewings fescue, tall fescue and perennial ryegrass need days consistently into the 60s to get going.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jec6 said:

This is what I read:

The ideal temperatures vary somewhat by species, but a good general rule of thumb is that most grass seed starts to germinate when the soil temperature near the surface reaches 50 degrees.

In spring, that usually happens when the daytime air temperatures start hitting 60 degrees.

In a normal year, that's early April. When spring shows up a little earlier, end of March is a reasonable seeding time.  Wait at least until the soil isn't frozen to even think about spring-seeding.

Kentucky bluegrass and creeping red and sheep fescue (both fine fescues) can germinate when it's a little cooler (soil temps in the upper 50s).

Chewings fescue, tall fescue and perennial ryegrass need days consistently into the 60s to get going.

Are you talking about reseeding the whole lawn or you have a spot that is deteriorated that you want to repair?  I don't have a lot of details on where you live or what's going on with your lawn, but depending on where you live, I would recommend reaching out to one of the agriculture co-op extension programs and chat with them. My experience has always been good with them, and since I'm in PA, I use the Penn State co-op extension program. You can send them a soil sample, and then they can tell you what the soil needs. 

I think most will agree, you need to identify the problem before throwing time, effort, and whole lot of money for nothing to try and resolve the issue. Most lawns have a multitude of problems and if you are willing to go through all that work, then I suggest getting a handle on the issue first before dropping all that coin.

Great info on seeding Jec6...Thank you for taking the time to relay this to those of us committed to growing better looking lawns!!

I have also heard that best results are achieved by using “certified” seed aka “golf course” seed!

On 3/17/2019 at 5:39 PM, Rainshadow said:

Well Rory started the last two rounds balky, but he put it/held it together and won. Congrats Rory!

I would have loved to see Jim win but nice to see Rory win there. He seems like a likable dude.