Chubbs

Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

They look like juvie box elder bugs.  I'm partly IDing from the maple seeds, which is a tree they like to host off of.  For some reason soapy water does a good job controlling them.

• Like 1

Hooky day for sure. Played Fox Hollow and shot an 85 there, wind was my friend today.  Mowed the lawn and also finished off the mulch, finally...

20180615_150950.jpg

20180615_151003.jpg

• Like 5

*ding*
Paging member LaddM.  Please contact CameronCat via PM or the alternate e-mail address.

Thank you. 
CamCat

Perennial gardens starting to pop. Mine peak June 15 - July 15 on average.

D6669C32-9AF3-4057-B6AF-4DEC1F7A9F5B.jpeg

0854AFAA-93DC-4FA7-9C3D-775F702EE1C1.jpeg

4AC30D4C-4CC4-4A5A-A5FA-CE0A237655E5.jpeg

• Like 6

Supposed to play Bunker Hill in Princeton on Saturday for a charity golf benefit. Hope the weather holds enough.

• Like 1

FRANK!

not looks so good  weekends FTL. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Parsley said:

FRANK!

not looks so good  weekends FTL. 

Yeah, not looking so hot

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

Perennial gardens starting to pop. Mine peak June 15 - July 15 on average.

D6669C32-9AF3-4057-B6AF-4DEC1F7A9F5B.jpeg

0854AFAA-93DC-4FA7-9C3D-775F702EE1C1.jpeg

4AC30D4C-4CC4-4A5A-A5FA-CE0A237655E5.jpeg

What are the purple flowers?

6 minutes ago, cbelke said:

They look like delphenium but Parsley will confirm or deny that. 

• Like 2

finally got out to spray some broadleaf weeds this afternoon scattered about in my yard in the areas I seeded last fall. Also hit some nutsedge too

38 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Tombo is right. delphinium (Larkspur).  

They self seed after they flower for the following year. I’ve been saving and spreading their seed pods year by year so they cover more area. They are my wife’s favorites, sadly they only bloom once (for a few weeks) each season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

finally got out to spray some broadleaf weeds this afternoon scattered about in my yard in the areas I seeded last fall. Also hit some nutsedge too

Yeah, I see crab grass has arrived in various nooks around the yard. Amazing how it finds any opportunity to sprout no matter how small the spot is. 

3 hours ago, Parsley said:

Tombo is right. delphinium (Larkspur).  

They self seed after they flower for the following year. I’ve been saving and spreading their seed pods year by year so they cover more area. They are my wife’s favorites, sadly they only bloom once (for a few weeks) each season. 

Good to know. Looking for more flowers to draw in hummingbirds. They won't work.

9 minutes ago, cbelke said:

Good to know. Looking for more flowers to draw in hummingbirds. They won't work.

Best bet is Jacob Cline Monarda - Bee Balm.  They are hardy, perennial, bright red flowers and bloom from a week ago through July.  They're related to mint, the leaves smell like a cross between mint and basil.  

https://www.highcountrygardens.com/perennial-plants/monarda/monarda-jacob-cline

It spreads well and can be split up and moved easily.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jec6 said:

Best bet is Jacob Cline Monarda - Bee Balm.  They are hardy, perennial, bright red flowers and bloom from a week ago through July.  They're related to mint, the leaves smell like a cross between mint and basil.  

I have those. Black and blue salvia and Vermillionaire are definitely worthwhile as well.

2 hours ago, cbelke said:

I have those. Black and blue salvia and Vermillionaire are definitely worthwhile as well.

Audobon has a good site for finding Native plants that meet your needs.  Just enter your zip code and use the filters:

https://www.audubon.org/native-plants/search?zipcode=19335&active_tab=best_results&attribute=&attribute_tier1=&resource=&resource_tier1=&bird_type=&bird_type_tier1=12966&page=1&page_tier1=1

You don't need to add your email address, but if you do you can export your selected plants to an email.  I used my zip for the search shown in the link,  but you can modify it for whatever criteria you want.

BTW, much kudos for focusing on Natives!  I'm a big fan of using them whenever and wherever possible on my property.  

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 9:50 PM, jec6 said:

Chris keeps stealing all the hummers. I can’t get those buggers for the life of me. I have coral bells all around my house and salvia. I just planted holly hocks, foxglove, bee balm, yarrow, delphinium, ballon flowers, black eyed Susan’s, purple cone flowers, coreopsis, this other flower that I totally forgot, along with petunias and phlox. I’m lost on what to do 

15 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Chris keeps stealing all the hummers. I can’t get those buggers for the life of me. I have coral bells all around my house and salvia. I just planted holly hocks, foxglove, bee balm, yarrow, delphinium, ballon flowers, black eyed Susan’s, purple cone flowers, coreopsis, this other flower that I totally forgot, along with petunias and phlox. I’m lost on what to do 

If there are only two hummingbirds on the East Coast then I have them. :bye:

Black and blue salvia and Vermillionaire. These are just stock pictures so you know what they look like. Mine are just starting to produce the purple flowers in abundance. The Vermillionaire were flowering when I planted them and haven't stopped, the hummingbirds hit them the same day I planted them.

I just planted a few styles of Agastache today to fill some voids. 

These are what I just planted. I'm told by several people who have them that they attract the hummingbirds.  

Agastache 'Kudos Mandarin'

Agastache 'Summer Sunset'

Don't over complicate the garden.

This is where I get them. http://www.countylinenursery.net/

Salvia, Black & Blue, , large

Image result for Vermillionaire

Hmmmm my saliva looks way different than that. This what I have 

0D56D99F-E7E1-4761-9280-865FAAFC6273.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Hmmmm my saliva looks way different than that. This what I have 

0D56D99F-E7E1-4761-9280-865FAAFC6273.png

Different type. Go get the black and blue salvia. You will get hummingbirds coming in regularly. 

This is what I currently have planted for the hummingbirds.

B&B salvia

Vermillionaire

Agastache - Hummingbird Mint (First time planting so jury is still out)

Lantana

Bee Balm

There is the regular salvia (like what you have) in the foreground of the one pic and the B&B salvia behind it. Can't remember the name of the red flower in the one pic, but that started off as a single stalk last summer when I planted it, going to have to split it up at the end of the year. It's not for hummers, but bee's like it. 

Keep the feeder out. They are around.

20180624_152110.jpg

20180624_152115.jpg

20180624_152122.jpg

20180624_152139.jpg

20180624_152149.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

That red flower in 2nd pic is yarrow

YES! That's right. Thanks for helping me identify that one. I have a list for everything else but was missing that one.

• Like 1