Chubbs

Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

Rickie is too far back other than to maybe cash in some FedEx points if he has a good weekend.  We all have had bad days and watched friends have a bad day, but this is tough when your pro playing partner is doing this:

Capture.JPGs.JPG.c04729d784d283c0dbe174e807a799e5.JPGCapture.JPG.3e2d35eec64c7f7fa2bdcb6b2787c210.JPG

Tiger watch is on. He's -2 thru 5 holes.

Well another notch for this sorry growing season. I feel for farmers. Today's winds already snapped half of our pole bean plants in half. Congrats, joining the soggy slug eatingfest, slow to bolt spinach that bolted at 2" tall and fig crushing early January cold for the first place prize.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

Well another notch for this sorry growing season. I feel for farmers. Today's winds already snapped half of our pole bean plants in half. Congrats, joining the soggy slug eatingfest, slow to bolt spinach that bolted at 2" tall and fig crushing early January cold for the first place prize.

It’s a sad sight for early June. My staked peppers were at a 45 degree angle this afternoon.  

• Sad 1

why did the memorial end so early today? i came in from outside work and turned it on at 3pm.

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

It’s a sad sight for early June. My staked peppers were at a 45 degree angle this afternoon.  

Well it is now over 90% of our pole bean plants, about a quarter of our potato plants and all of our sunflower plants that have been ruined by the f&*^ing wind.  Our pepper plants are still too small to be affected by the wind, so we have that going for us.  I have to give myself a 36 hour time out, I am so steamed and pi$$ed off for all that wasted effort the past month ruined by a nor'easter wanna be in early June.  I don't know how farmers do it.  It is a thankless, but noble effort on their part.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

Well it is now over 90% of our pole bean plants, about a quarter of our potato plants and all of our sunflower plants that have been ruined by the f&*^ing wind.  Our pepper plants are still too small to be affected by the wind, so we have that going for us.  I have to give myself a 36 hour time out, I am so steamed and pi$$ed off for all that wasted effort the past month ruined by a nor'easter wanna be in early June.  I don't know how farmers do it.  It is a thankless, but noble effort on their part.

As a former farmer, I thank you. You are absolutely right. It is frustrating. HOWEVER, it takes time to recover, but they will grow again. 

1 hour ago, Rainshadow said:

Just be stronger than the storm

• Like 4

McCullough's in Egg Harbor Twp. Saturday, happy to dodge the rain however the humidity & lack of a breeze were brutal. I've been down to the Egg Harbor circuit at this time of year for quite some time & have never seen the rough & tall grass this thick. Anything off the narrow 2nd cut was essentially DOA. Course is on a landfill so you get elevation changes that wouldn't be possible with the native landscape.

tee boxes at #4, 8 & 18

20180602_100856.jpg.7f4245172e71d521813541794dc08a4c.jpg

20180602_113420.jpg.1edf20578aa7988485b10d50f98c64fe.jpg

20180602_141844.jpg.e69f539c0a93c13c758d25e816d74eca.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Qtown Snow said:

why did the memorial end so early today? i came in from outside work and turned it on at 3pm.

Tee times were moved up due to expected weather in the afternoon.  Before the event used to be shown on tape delay but I believe that CBS switched their policy after some backlash earlier this year.  

Hey there lawnkeepers, farmers and other growers,
I need some help with a problem. I have a groundwater problem in my lower yard**  that needs remediation via some channeling and excavation. Who does this kind of work?
I've talked to a couple "landscape" companies only to find that landscaper now only means "we mow lawns." My project is way too small for an engineering company and a bit too big for my neighbor and I to undertake on our own.  Any guidance, direction or company leads appreciated with thanks.  Reply here or via PM as it suits. 

** Note that this problem does NOT involve any structures so basement waterproofers, etc are out of the discussion as well.

You need to find a landscaper that also does excavation and drainage. They are out there, and make sure you get references.

3 hours ago, CameronCat said:

I need some help with a problem. I have a groundwater problem in my lower yard**  that needs remediation via some channeling and excavation. Who does this kind of work?
I've talked to a couple "landscape" companies only to find that landscaper now only means "we mow lawns." My project is way too small for an engineering company and a bit too big for my neighbor and I to undertake on our own.  Any guidance, direction or company leads appreciated with thanks.  Reply here or via PM as it suits. 

** Note that this problem does NOT involve any structures so basement waterproofers, etc are out of the discussion as well.

whats the exact issue?

Saw the first sporadic crab grass blades poking out of random spots in people's yards today. Summer is upon us.

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

Saw the first sporadic crab grass blades poking out of random spots in people's yards today. Summer is upon us.

I just learned that the ugly Digitaria sanguinalis is really an invasive plant brought to the United States by immigrants (I'm assuming from Europe).  They wanted it for grazing.

50 minutes ago, CyphaPSU said:

I just learned that the ugly Digitaria sanguinalis is really an invasive plant brought to the United States by immigrants (I'm assuming from Europe).  They wanted it for grazing.

Boo. :angry:

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 4:55 PM, cbelke said:

As a former farmer, I thank you. You are absolutely right. It is frustrating. HOWEVER, it takes time to recover, but they will grow again. 

You are right. They are prone to wind damage at this stage of their development, I thought we escaped that window this year.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:58 PM, colonel_kurtz said:

McCullough's in Egg Harbor Twp. Saturday, happy to dodge the rain however the humidity & lack of a breeze were brutal. I've been down to the Egg Harbor circuit at this time of year for quite some time & have never seen the rough & tall grass this thick. Anything off the narrow 2nd cut was essentially DOA. Course is on a landfill so you get elevation changes that wouldn't be possible with the native landscape.

tee boxes at #4, 8 & 18

20180602_100856.jpg.7f4245172e71d521813541794dc08a4c.jpg

20180602_113420.jpg.1edf20578aa7988485b10d50f98c64fe.jpg

20180602_141844.jpg.e69f539c0a93c13c758d25e816d74eca.jpg

The rough at Seaview is going to be brutal for the ladies this weekend.

15 hours ago, CameronCat said:

Sounds like you need a contractor that installs french drains? 

That may be the ultimate solution but my neighbor and I think there's an easier way. I just need someone to confirm our thinking and do the work.

another fresh cut tonight, down to 2 small areas of soggy cant user mower wet spots.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:06 PM, CameronCat said:

Hey Cam cat... I am a land/hardscaper of 25+ yrs. ( I also mow grass...lol). I have graded new construction town homes and solved many water issues. E-mail me some pics if possible (landscapelaw123@ gmail.com). I always start with where is the water coming from? 

• Like 3