Sign in to follow this  
Chubbs

Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

Al's comment about the wide fairways drew me to Renault this AM. Only a few traps still had water. Lightly played in the early am.

IMG_1002.JPG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chubbs said:

Al's comment about the wide fairways drew me to Renault this AM. Only a few traps still had water. Lightly played in the early am.

IMG_1002.JPG

First hole?

2 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

First hole?

Yes, 7:20 tee time.

Dollar spot gone wild this morning. Ideal conditions for it 

IMG_0660.JPG

35 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Dollar spot gone wild this morning. Ideal conditions for it 

IMG_0660.JPG

That's a lot of dollars.:o

This is maybe most for Al who is closest, but if you ever want to golf on a public golf course that is in excellent shape (even for August), this IMO is one of the best in South Jersey.  Because of the high green fees, it doesnt get alot of play, although the mon-tue rates are not that outrageous (for South Jersey).  Give yourself some extra time because 541 (Mt Holly By-Pass) and Woodlane Road is a mess with roadwork right now.  Several holes with forced carries and tough greens. The fairways themselves are fairly wide, but some strayed shots well right or left will be lost in wetlands.

http://www.deerwoodcc.com/

• Like 1

Announcer's curse part II, the ladies should easily win the Solheim Cup this afternoon.  Have watched hardly any of it all, didnt read about much drama.

13 minutes ago, Baseball0618 said:

Tom you guys aerating greens this week? Should be a quick heal this year? 

In the past we would of done it the week before Labor Day on a Monday. But recently and probably from now on we moved it back to October. In October it doesn't disrupt play as much as it slackens off by then. Also, it's not as risky as August since it still can be hot and the sun angle is still relatively strong that can dry greens out fast. Your greens should heal pretty fast within 2 weeks esp if they back off growth regulator 

16 minutes ago, Coltsfan1217 said:

Playing at Turtle Creek this afternoon and using the eclipse as my excuse for when I play poorly

You have to play the wind and the additional gravitational pull...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phillyflip said:

You have to play the wind and the additional gravitational pull...

Actually had a great round (for me at least, bogey golf). TC isn't a difficult course though 

• Like 1

Bags are working great this year - one plant per bag, 4-5 tomatoes per day recently.

tomatoes.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chubbs said:

Bags are working great this year - one plant per bag, 4-5 tomatoes per day recently.

tomatoes.jpg

This was the morning harvest.  Better late than never for us.  Our peppers (and to a lesser extent eggplants) were decimated by TMV, but at least it didnt spread to the tomatoes.

Capture.thumb.JPG.97132f00b3f52ff8dacf664c40a616d7.JPG

• Like 3

Just some decimated sheep sorrel and dandelion for Tony 

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

Had tree trimmers come earlier this week. The hot 90 degree day, and they laid plastic mats down on the grass so they could drive the bucket truck up on the lawn. This was the result. Needless to say, I am not happy. 

My lawn was near perfect with all this rain. Not it looks like crap with these patches of burnt grass. Hoping it comes back next year. 

20170823_175739.jpg

20170823_175526.jpg

21 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Just some decimated sheep sorrel and dandelion for Tony 

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

20 mule borax is working on our ground ivy, except I cant pour it on where our pug goes....

2 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

20 mule borax is working on our ground ivy, except I cant pour it on where our pug goes....

Is it selective for ground ivy?

Johnson dusts Jordan with a massive 345 yard drive on the first  playoff hole. When his game is on (putting and distance control), there is no one in the world that can keep up with DJ. If he hadn't fallen down the steps before the Masters, who knows where he would be by now.

Well Tombo, Jo & I played at 5 Ponds today and keeping up with tradition, I lost five balls (not necessarily one for each pond).

Weird game by me because I am normally not duck hooky off the tee and I had a number of those tee shots today.  :( 

Anyway, we tried another outlook hole, the par 3 17th and with much number crunching we came up with a +3F departure for this October.  Blame me for most of that +.