tombo82685

Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

1,125 posts in this topic

What's with the sound and Fox with the USGA events? They don't seem to be able to filter out the background noise.

32 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

What's with the sound and Fox with the USGA events? They don't seem to be able to filter out the background noise.

Joe Buck commentating golf again?

1 hour ago, cbelke said:

Joe Buck commentating golf again?

Maybe all the background noise is to drown him out?

1 person likes this

green lush grass will continue for a while...

On 7/14/2017 at 2:12 PM, Qtown Snow said:

green lush grass will continue for a while...

Yup,  4.01" since July 6. Sometime this spring we transitioned from dry to wet.

1 person likes this

Best time of the year for produce when corn and tomatoes come in. Only thing you can add is some local soft-shell crabs and clams. May be some raspberries that some may not like.

1 person likes this

On 7/13/2017 at 7:42 PM, tombo82685 said:

Another good perennial with continuous flowers that I have bought numerous of this year is gaillardia 

Hey tombo, I like the gaillardia too, have a few. They are hit or miss as far as coming back the next year though, but might be just bad luck on my part.  I have some that have come back several years in a row, others didn't make it.  I have a couple reddish color (goblin I think it's called?) that gets lots of flowers but flowers only last a day or two. This year I got an "Arizona Apricot" gaillardia and this one also gets lots of flowers, with each lasting a week or more. Thought the difference in staying power was interesting. 

Pretty drought tolerant once established and the bees are on them everyday.

19 hours ago, rafpsu said:

Hey tombo, I like the gaillardia too, have a few. They are hit or miss as far as coming back the next year though, but might be just bad luck on my part.  I have some that have come back several years in a row, others didn't make it.  I have a couple reddish color (goblin I think it's called?) that gets lots of flowers but flowers only last a day or two. This year I got an "Arizona Apricot" gaillardia and this one also gets lots of flowers, with each lasting a week or more. Thought the difference in staying power was interesting. 

Pretty drought tolerant once established and the bees are on them everyday.

I just got them this summer, so curious how they will do coming out over the winter. Their hardiness is fine for this reason, so I'm curious as to why they wouldn't make it through winter. I have the ones with the red in the middle. Like you said, they don't stay bloomed for that long generally 3/4 days but they put out a ton of blooms

how did the confront work for you?

Grew some ORANGE small grape type tomatoes this year and they are great, very sweet. Larger tomatoes are lagging. Local corn is off the hook like Guy Fieri would say.

6 minutes ago, Harbourton said:

Grew some ORANGE small grape type tomatoes this year and they are great, very sweet. Larger tomatoes are lagging. Local corn is off the hook like Guy Fieri would say.

Our first plum tomato is starting to ripen, yeah everything is behind or just outright failing (our pepper crop may match the 1972-3 snowfall).

2 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

I just got them this summer, so curious how they will do coming out over the winter. Their hardiness is fine for this reason, so I'm curious as to why they wouldn't make it through winter. I have the ones with the red in the middle. Like you said, they don't stay bloomed for that long generally 3/4 days but they put out a ton of blooms

how did the confront work for you?

Tom the Confront has worked really well, great recommendation.  The yard looks better than ever this year. Of course some of that is the rain, but it's basically been completely weed-free thanks to some spot-applications of Confront a couple times. It eradicated the pesky clover! (Plenty of other flowers for the bees in my yard).

have a few weeds poking up now and would like to apply the Confront but I'm thinking it's too hot. I'll look for a cloudy/cooler day to do that (so, sept or oct, haha).

My bell pepper plant which I didn't even grow from seed has been a failure. My other pepper (Carmen, sweet Italian) has produced atleast 5-10 peppers in the past few weeks. 

By far my (picklebush) cucumbers and (husky) cherry tomato plant are the winners this year for me. 

This was from the past 24 hours, there is a nice handful of cherry tomatoes coming off daily. 

image.jpeg

7 people like this

Also, sort of a project flower seed my kids got in their Easter Baskets were these forget me nots. Loooooong process to get these from seed to bloom but they made it after 3 months. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

5 people like this

15 hours ago, rafpsu said:

Tom the Confront has worked really well, great recommendation.  The yard looks better than ever this year. Of course some of that is the rain, but it's basically been completely weed-free thanks to some spot-applications of Confront a couple times. It eradicated the pesky clover! (Plenty of other flowers for the bees in my yard).

have a few weeds poking up now and would like to apply the Confront but I'm thinking it's too hot. I'll look for a cloudy/cooler day to do that (so, sept or oct, haha).

Glad to hear it worked well for you. You should be good next week to hit some of those other weeds. 

nasty wind at Birkdale today, Zach Johnson somehow shot a 66 & moved up 98 positions

Quite an attractive leader board shaping up, Rory made a nice move, have to figure Hideki is going to win a major in short order. This Jamie Lovemark has popped up quite a few times this year.

would love to see Kuchar break through

9 hours ago, colonel_kurtz said:

nasty wind at Birkdale today, Zach Johnson somehow shot a 66 & moved up 98 positions

Quite an attractive leader board shaping up, Rory made a nice move, have to figure Hideki is going to win a major in short order. This Jamie Lovemark has popped up quite a few times this year.

would love to see Kuchar break through

Jordan leading after two rounds, he's not going anywhere.  Wind tightened the field.

Another yard pic, one of my favorite plants in the yard is starting to bloom...the crape myrtle.

IMG_1612.JPG

2 people like this

12 hours ago, Rainshadow said:

Jordan leading after two rounds, he's not going anywhere.  Wind tightened the field.

Green light special today, 62 is fair game with benign conditions

Jordan got sloppy down the stretch, we'll see if it was just the conditions or something technical. Very lucky on 15 as he skulled his 2nd shot but it still rolled up on the green setting up the eagle putt. Followed that with an ugly 3 putt on 16 & a terrible drive on 17. His fairway #'s are pretty weak, short game has been stellar.

1 hour ago, colonel_kurtz said:

Green light special today, 62 is fair game with benign conditions

Jordan got sloppy down the stretch, we'll see if it was just the conditions or something technical. Very lucky on 15 as he skulled his 2nd shot but it still rolled up on the green setting up the eagle putt. Followed that with an ugly 3 putt on 16 & a terrible drive on 17. His fairway #'s are pretty weak, short game has been stellar.

Can't say I am seeing much of this tournament.  Jordan's short game has been pretty much the best of the bunch.  Just heard on the radio about Grace having the lowest round ever in a major. Johnny Miller must be beside himself.

Feel a little cooler after watching the Open for a while. Great shotmaking this am also.

On 7/21/2017 at 0:54 PM, colonel_kurtz said:

nasty wind at Birkdale y, Zach Johnson somehow shot a 66 & moved up 98 positionsQuite an attractive leader board shaping up, Rory made a nice move, have to figure Hideki is going to win a major order. This Jamie Lovemark has popped up quite a few times this year.would love to see Kuchar break through

Jorden Speith may be one of the best putters I've ever seen. He's not happy, missed too many 8-15 footers. If only