tombo82685

Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

769 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Rainshadow said:

If you lived in Jersey, I would have the perfect starter course for you. :(

I dont know if there are any 9 hole courses your way, but they usually are not as crowded.  Also starting out just doing 9 holes at a time may be easier, most courses let you do that.

If your boyfriend also golfs, I would recommend you scramble (play your next shot from the best of your two shots) and even tee the ball up on the fairway.  As you get better you can play your own shot and as it lies on the fairway or in the rough (a place I am very familiar with).  

Yes get lessons; my wife & I did it backwards for about a month before we found a good teacher. Alas I took so many lessons from him, he was able to move to Florida. 

Mermaid lake by the ply mtg mall would be a good spot. It's cheap and most holes under 220 yds

1 person likes this

Have any of you played at Downingtown Country Club?  I saw it was open to the public, didn't realize it was one of the Jaworski courses.

Was listening to WIP sports radio and they asked a doctor about Tiger's back surgeries and he said that most people will try to avoid one back operation let alone four. Prognosis was pretty dismal for golf, but quality of life may be improved. There was a time when Tiger was a shoe in to beat Jack Nicklaus' record for majors - now that is just fantasy. May be the greatest sports icon to not fulfill his potential. It's like God said you fu5ked up and here's the price. 

Given the growth of golf, and how many more young players are developing enough talent to go pro and compete, I feel pretty safe saying Jack's record will never be broken.  Certainly didn't believe that 10 years ago.

Beautiful day out there allowed me to get a lot done today. While Tony was making soil castles out of his soil I held up the man land fort and tackled a weeping cherry that was 20yrs old. Last summer either a disease or borer got to it and it lost half its foliage last summer. Was hoping this spring the area that lost its foliage would green up but nope it was dead. So we said adios today to him. Took me about an hr and a half to get this sucker out. I then split firewood and sawed the remaining fence posts I took down a couple years that I had piled up. Cut them in half so they would burn easier for when the gfs's 27 verifies here in 2 weeks. 

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

5 people like this

On 4/22/2017 at 7:26 AM, cbelke said:

We all need a lot of golf help. :blink:    You pretty much summed it up with "I may be confusing "fun" with "complete and utter frustration". They both mean the same thing when talking golf.

Golf Galaxy usually has some decent PGA instructors and they have the technology to video record your swing, pick it apart, (be prepared for honesty), and discuss it with you. Prices are reasonable too.

Most decent local courses have PGA instructors, but don't have the technology that Golf Galaxy does. 

Take a few lessons, get out and learn some new four letter words, and enjoy the scenery and weather. Most of all, have fun.

Chris

Thanks, Chris!

I really like the idea of going to Golf Galaxy. And they're in Berwyn, too. It also might be helpful to get the mechanics down before I start chopping up a green. 

You mean there are more four letter words than I already know? Dang. :laugh:

1 person likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 9:00 AM, tombo82685 said:

Mermaid lake by the ply mtg mall would be a good spot. It's cheap and most holes under 220 yds

Noted. Thanks, Tom!

On 4/22/2017 at 8:46 AM, Rainshadow said:

If you lived in Jersey, I would have the perfect starter course for you. :(

I dont know if there are any 9 hole courses your way, but they usually are not as crowded.  Also starting out just doing 9 holes at a time may be easier, most courses let you do that.

If your boyfriend also golfs, I would recommend you scramble (play your next shot from the best of your two shots) and even tee the ball up on the fairway.  As you get better you can play your own shot and as it lies on the fairway or in the rough (a place I am very familiar with).  

Yes get lessons; my wife & I did it backwards for about a month before we found a good teacher. Alas I took so many lessons from him, he was able to move to Florida. 

Thanks to you too, Tony. Much appreciated.

I always figured I was going to get lessons. Golf, to me, is one of those sports that almost require you to learn the ropes with someone way more experienced first. I equate it with skiing; I'm sure lots of people rent boots and skiis and just go flying down the mountain, but I was not that person. I required a week in Killington, learning how to ski on ice and ending up with a black-and-blue on my thigh the size of a dinner plate. 

I hope I have better luck with the golf. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Hey Tom,

You said you used Synatek Dimension pre-emergent (I think) for the course. How late can something like that be put down for it to be worthwhile? I was hoping to get to it today, but schedule may not allow. I'll have to wait for the next good rain chance, whenever that is.

Have you ever used the Entourage insecticide from Synatek?

Update: Ran down to Synatek this afternoon and they told me Dimension and Prodiamine will do nothing to dandelions. They tried to sell me a can of spray to put in the cup holder of the mower so when I see a dandelion, I can just spray it.  I didn't like that answer. Back to Scott's Turf Builder Weed and Feed...

5 hours ago, cbelke said:

Hey Tom,

You said you used Synatek Dimension pre-emergent (I think) for the course. How late can something like that be put down for it to be worthwhile? I was hoping to get to it today, but schedule may not allow. I'll have to wait for the next good rain chance, whenever that is.

Have you ever used the Entourage insecticide from Synatek?

Update: Ran down to Synatek this afternoon and they told me Dimension and Prodiamine will do nothing to dandelions. They tried to sell me a can of spray to put in the cup holder of the mower so when I see a dandelion, I can just spray it.  I didn't like that answer. Back to Scott's Turf Builder Weed and Feed...

I would go with dimension (dithiopyr) you can seed into that after 4 months. Prodiamine, which is barricade is a lot stronger of a product. You are still good for pre emerge but I would get it down before mid may, sooner the better. I wouldn't do weed and feed if you're trying to control dandelions. Just go to home depot and pick up a liquid herbicide. Granular herbicides are garbage. Plants take up liquid 100 times better. Dandelion control is pretty good with the home depot type products. It will most likely have dicamba, 2-4-d, and MCCP mixed in for active ingredients. 

I vaguely remember hearing about that herbicide, but never used it. Whats the AI?

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

I would go with dimension (dithiopyr) you can seed into that after 4 months. Prodiamine, which is barricade is a lot stronger of a product. You are still good for pre emerge but I would get it down before mid may, sooner the better. I wouldn't do weed and feed if you're trying to control dandelions. Just go to home depot and pick up a liquid herbicide. Granular herbicides are garbage. Plants take up liquid 100 times better. Dandelion control is pretty good with the home depot type products. It will most likely have dicamba, 2-4-d, and MCCP mixed in for active ingredients. 

I vaguely remember hearing about that herbicide, but never used it. Whats the AI?

You mean the Entourage insecticide? Looks like Imidacloprid and Lambda-cy are the AI's. They said mid-June to put that down for grubs, etc.

I normally put down the Scott's Weed & Feed with good results. I don't have a spayer to do put down any liquid over a large area other than those spray bottles from Scott's that attach to a garden hose. 

Thanks for the info! I'll have to buy you a beer for all the guidance. 

42 minutes ago, cbelke said:

You mean the Entourage insecticide? Looks like Imidacloprid and Lambda-cy are the AI's. They said mid-June to put that down for grubs, etc.

I normally put down the Scott's Weed & Feed with good results. I don't have a spayer to do put down any liquid over a large area other than those spray bottles from Scott's that attach to a garden hose. 

Thanks for the info! I'll have to buy you a beer for all the guidance. 

Imidacloprid is merit, very good for grubs. So yes that would be good. I usually do grub apps around 4th of July. I'm not sure how big of a yard you have or how infested with dandelions it is. What I did is just went to a local hardware store and bought a 1 gallon sprayer. Most of the chemicals has a spot spraying rate on the label for 1 gal of water. I just then spot treat the weeds. If the whole yard is covered and you have a big yard then if the weed and feed works and you're satisfied then stick with that. Just make sure you apply when foliage is wet. It needs to stick to the plant for it to uptake. When I bought my house, I have about .4 of an acre of lawn that was infested with weeds. I gridded off my whole lawn with paint spray and just went block by block hitting weeds. It was time consuming but well worth it. I'm just not a fan of putting fertilizer down right now when grass is growing like gang busters to begin with plus liquid stuff work better. Applying fert right now can actually do more harm than good.  Grass right now is growing like crazy because they're  reproducing, starting to put out seedheads which causes the plant to tap into all its carbohydrates. Now imagine putting food down too, it makes the plant work that much harder and once it goes through that process it has nothing left in the tank and can cause a weaker plant heading into the hot time. At the course we apply proxy and primo which are both growth regulators of the plant. Primo slows the growth of the plant and proxy helps the plant so it doesn't produce a seedhead so it stores more carbohydrates and is a healthier plant heading into summer. Those chemicals are very expensive, no reccomending that just saying what we do. At my house I usually hit my yard with slow release fertilizer around Memorial Day that way it slowly feeds the lawn and doesn't push all that growth. It gives the plant a chance to rebuild its carbohydrate supply after it was drained of it with producing a seedhead. Think of it like running a marathon and when it's done you're wiped out and need to rebuild your fluids and energy. When I put that down too I also make sure there is a good amount of potassium too cause potassium helps the plant during hot times with regulating metabolic processes inside the plant. It's also not a bad idea of spoon feeding milorganite during the summer or maybe just straight iron too. 

I've used an insecticide from Greenview for a few years that contains merit, but I still had some grub damage last summer...minor, but noticeable to me.  A couple weeks ago while planting a tree and a few bushes I noticed quite a few grubs down in the soil, so I know they're lurking.  Had pretty severe grub damage one summer at a previous house and it was definitely frustrating.

tom, what do you know about nematodes for grub control? Trying to go the environmental route where I can (look away from my recent purchase of confront, not going all the way yet, and that's a lifetime supply) and I've heard of some success with them, wondering if you have heard of anything.  Doubt we will be seeing any nematode-spraying on golf courses but it seems like it could be a decent "green" alternative for residential use. 

8 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

Imidacloprid is merit, very good for grubs. So yes that would be good. I usually do grub apps around 4th of July. I'm not sure how big of a yard you have or how infested with dandelions it is. What I did is just went to a local hardware store and bought a 1 gallon sprayer. Most of the chemicals has a spot spraying rate on the label for 1 gal of water. I just then spot treat the weeds. If the whole yard is covered and you have a big yard then if the weed and feed works and you're satisfied then stick with that. Just make sure you apply when foliage is wet. It needs to stick to the plant for it to uptake. When I bought my house, I have about .4 of an acre of lawn that was infested with weeds. I gridded off my whole lawn with paint spray and just went block by block hitting weeds. It was time consuming but well worth it. I'm just not a fan of putting fertilizer down right now when grass is growing like gang busters to begin with plus liquid stuff work better. Applying fert right now can actually do more harm than good.  Grass right now is growing like crazy because they're  reproducing, starting to put out seedheads which causes the plant to tap into all its carbohydrates. Now imagine putting food down too, it makes the plant work that much harder and once it goes through that process it has nothing left in the tank and can cause a weaker plant heading into the hot time. At the course we apply proxy and primo which are both growth regulators of the plant. Primo slows the growth of the plant and proxy helps the plant so it doesn't produce a seedhead so it stores more carbohydrates and is a healthier plant heading into summer. Those chemicals are very expensive, no reccomending that just saying what we do. At my house I usually hit my yard with slow release fertilizer around Memorial Day that way it slowly feeds the lawn and doesn't push all that growth. It gives the plant a chance to rebuild its carbohydrate supply after it was drained of it with producing a seedhead. Think of it like running a marathon and when it's done you're wiped out and need to rebuild your fluids and energy. When I put that down too I also make sure there is a good amount of potassium too cause potassium helps the plant during hot times with regulating metabolic processes inside the plant. It's also not a bad idea of spoon feeding milorganite during the summer or maybe just straight iron too. 

Great explanation. I didn't think about the grass actually working so hard to produce seed. That all makes sense. 

Definitely owe you a case of beer now. 

Thanks!!

Cut my lawn for the 6th time so far this season. Used the Paleo 8-12-12 fertilizer and the lawn took off running. 

Great advice on the other treatments. I will hold off till mid May or so and spot treat the dandelions.

My lawn looks good so far, all the rain has helped of course. 

Thanks Tom!

20170425_075219.jpg

20170425_075157.jpg